Are you a talented technology & instrumentation engineer?
Are you seeking new challenges in the interesting field of environmental air quality instrumentation? Are you interested in the development of technology for the purposes of helping to ensure a cleaner earth in terms of the air we breathe? As a Research & Development Engineer working with our team, you will take on the leadership of our technology development. This will also include managing team members within our engineering & production team to help improve all aspects of product development and production in order to keep projects moving forward on schedule. You will detail project plans & be responsible for the development of cutting edge technology that is being designed for national (and global) air quality measurements. If you have strong previous expertise to identify and solve complex technical problems and a proven competence and success in scientific instrumentation engineering & product development, then we’d like to open a conversation with you.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Take ownership of company in-house SBIR program (Small Business Innovation Research), which will involve learning & applying company strategic technology goals
- Liaise constructively with end users and customers in a technical & operational capacity to obtain feedback for product enhancements and for facilitating future R&D grant funding
- Prepare R&D grant applications on behalf of the company, from an engineering perspective
- Create designs for instrument devices based on innovative concepts so that they are functional & able to be commercialized.
- Assist with the commercialization of current R&D from an engineering & technical perspective
- Engineer robust and manufactural products through strong understanding and application of engineering fundamentals.
- Develop and execute test methods which specify measurement equipment, test set-up, measurement systems analysis, and data analysis.
- Write detailed technical reports based on design verification analysis/testing for design changes and product design activities.
- Define material properties, develop concepts, verify prototypes, create and execute clinically simulated bench tests.
- Manage multiple project timelines, resources and responsibilities to achieve goals.
- Verify and validate designs and transfer new products into production.
- Transfer products designed for manufacturing throughout the development cycle and into full production.
- Work with external resources to resolve product issues, quality design and performance.
- Translate functional needs into product specifications.
- Gather business intelligence (patent, technology and competitive intelligence) to identify new scientific trends and conduct strategic planning.
- Gather any legal documents, including laws, regulations and patents that are necessary for determining a project’s feasibility.
- Assist with Company Intellectual Property protection of innovative designs and developments.
- Ability to successfully manage an engineering team
- Understanding of environmental scientific instrumentation – strong prior experience in the field of air quality measurement instrumentation, or other scientific measurements monitoring instrumentation, is preferable
- Ability to analyze data
- Background in Electronics/Electrical, Mechanical, and/or Chemical engineering
- Willingness to travel on a limited basis
- Computer programming knowledge is an advantage
- Knowledge of Solid Works is a strong advantage
- Proven ability to identify, break down and solve a variety of difficult technical problems.
- Disciplined and well-organized in documentation (plans, requirements, drawings, design reviews, and test methods)
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently with a minimum of supervisor input
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Must be based in the USA and be authorized to work in the USA. A close proximity to our R&D center in Rhode Island or a willingness to relocate is preferred.
Education & Experience:
- Technology degree in engineering, or related engineering discipline.
- PMP credential is a Plus
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in developing instrumentation.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience within a Design Control environment.